Note: From April 2023, Districts must work towards transforming from the District Executive model to the District Trustee Board, as per POR rule 5. The information below is current only until such time as a District makes this move.
Northampton Distirct Scouts District Executive Committee plays a vital role in the running of a Scout District. Executive Committees make decisions and carry out administrative tasks to ensure that the best quality Scouting can be delivered to young people in the District.
Key roles of the District Executive
Support the District Commissioner in meeting the responsibilities of their role.
Act collectively as charity trustees and in the interests if the membership to:
- comply with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association
- protect and maintain property owned by and used by the District
- manage the District finances
- provide insurance for people, property and equipment
- provide sufficient resources for Scouting to operate. This includes, but is not limited to, supporting recruitment, other adult support, and fundraising activities.
- promote and support the development of Scouting in the local area
- manage and implement the Safety Policy locally
- ensure that a positive image of Scouting exists in the local community
- appoint and manage the operation of sub-committees including appointing Chairmen to lead them
- ensure that young people are meaningfully involved in decision making at all levels in the District.
- opening, closure and amalgamation of Scout Groups, Explorer Units, Scout Network and Scout Active Support Units in the District as necessary.
- Appoint and manage the operation of the Appointments Advisory Committee, including appointing a Chairman to lead it.
- Supervise the administration of Groups, particularly in relation to finance and trusteeship
- approve the Annual Report and Accounts after they have been examined by an appropriate scrutineer, auditor or independent examiner.
- Present the Annual Report and Accounts at the Annual General Meeting, and file with the Regional Executive and the charity regulator.
The District Exec is made up of Ex-Officio Members, these are members who are appointed to the Executive because of the roles they hold and include District Commissioner, District Youth Commissioner, District Explorer Scout Commissioner, District Network Commissioner, Distirct Chair, District Secretary, District Treasuer. Membership is also made up of elected members who stand for election at the AGM and are elected by the District Scout Council to take on the role and nominated members who are nominated by the District Commissioner and approved at the AGM. You can find out who is on our District Exec here