Explorer Scout Unit 14 – 18 years. Explorers are District Based units. Young People are encouraged to lead themselves in deciding the programme and direction of the Unit, with the support and guidance from leaders.
The section also includes the Young Leaders’ Scheme, where young people are able to take on a leadership role in one of the younger sections. There is wider scope for activities like offshore sailing, campaigning, performing, parascending, mountaineering & expeditions.
For more information check out our Explorers Welcome and Information Pack below:
Check out the parents guide to Explorer Scouts here
Young Leaders are part of the District Explorer Scout provision. They:
- must be aged between 14 and 18 (do not start before 14)
- are expected to attend regular training sessions
- need to attend Module A within 3 months of starting.
- cannot work with their Scout group for as minimum of 6 months
- Membership fees are paid for by their Host Group and must appear on the Group’s Census return
- can also take part with Explorer Scout Units on payment of subs
- can take part in all National, County and District Explorer Scout camps, visits and activities
- are expected to wear full uniform when working with groups
- should be given opportunities to gain staged activity badges with groups
- should be encouraged to deliver activities required for Senior Scout Awards
Young Leader Subscriptions – it costs approx. £10 per year to provide Young Leader training, badges, and awards. The meeting was presented with options, and agreed that a charge of £10 per Young Leader will be included on the Group Census Invoice for 2018, as a separate line.
The Explorer Section has produced a leaflet explaining the Explorer Scout provision in Northampton, including contact details. The DESC and DESL are willing to come to Troops to explain the options for older Scouts. Please contact Tim Walker on firstname.lastname@example.org ask them to come to your Troop.